Tune in to Episode #83: Apple Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher
Get ready to discuss the true stories of seven strangers… In this episode, we explore the cultural impact of MTV’s groundbreaking reality TV show, The Real World. Our guest for this episode is Dana Bowling, a former casting director, pop culture buff, and video and personal branding coach.
Dana shares her insights on why The Real World was such a successful formula for TV and how the show evolved from tackling serious issues relevant to its young adult audience to showcasing more controversial content. We also discuss The Real World’s place in pop culture, and its influence on reality TV and youth culture.
As a personal branding coach, Dana brings a unique perspective to the conversation, sharing her thoughts on what makes a good pitch or audition tape and how to stand out in a crowded field. With her wealth of experience in the entertainment industry, Dana offers valuable insights into what marketers can learn from the success of The Real World and how they can apply those lessons to their own brand strategies.
If you’re a fan of The Real World or just interested in pop culture and marketing, this episode is not to be missed! Tune in now to hear Dana’s take on this iconic show and what it can teach us about building a successful brand.
“I look at TikTok as a really great parallel to reality casting. Because we are all on TikTok scrolling short-form video. And there are certain people that you don’t know — you’re not following them, and they’re talking about something that you’re not really even that interested in. But you are watching that video because there’s something about their approach, their energy, their voice, whatever it is, that makes you want to watch.””
– Dana Bowling
Making the Brand is the perfect fusion of your favorite marketing and pop culture podcast. Listen to the episode below:
In this episode, we discuss topics like:
- Memories of watching The Real World and why the show’s concept was so successful
- The evolution of the show’s reputation from addressing contemporary issues to showcasing immaturity and irresponsible behavior
- The importance of vulnerability in creating compelling content and how The Real World’s focus on personal struggles and growth contributed to its popularity
- The show’s place in pop culture and its influence on reality TV and youth culture
- The casting process for the show and what might have been involved in selecting the right candidates
- What makes a good pitch or audition tape from a personal branding perspective, and how to stand out and showcase one’s unique personality and experiences
Sponsored by VNYL
This episode is sponsored by VNYL — a vinyl record membership club that syncs with your Spotify so you can get new music sent to your door! Oh and the best part? Making the Brand listeners get a discount! Enjoy 50% off your first month of 3 records. Learn more at VNYL.org.
Links from the episode:
- Follow Dana: Instagram | Twitter | TikTok
- Dana’s podcast: Daily Dose of Dana
- Dana’s program and services: Show Up On Video
How to Subscribe
Want more marketing and pop culture fun in your life? The best thing you can do is subscribe to Making the Brand so you’re up to date on the latest episodes, released every Wednesday! Making the Brand is sure to become your favorite marketing podcast!
A Message from the Heart 💜
The Making the Brand podcast is a labor of love. If you’re a fan, I’d sincerely appreciate if you took a minute to leave a review on Apple Podcasts. Reviews are incredibly important to help me grow the show!
Here’s why Making the Brand is everyone’s favorite marketing podcast:
“I love how Brianne takes a look back at 90s pop culture (and examines today’s trends) to gain insights into branding and marketing. This podcast is a great mix of fun and practical insights!”
You also can watch a video version of this interview on YouTube!
Related Resources about TV, nostalgia, marketing, and more!