I sat down with my good friend Gina to discuss Carrie and Sex and the City’s influence on marketing, blogging, and social media. Take a listen to the full episode below or scroll down to see some of the our best takeaways for bloggers!
What Bloggers Can Learn from Carrie Bradshaw and Sex and the City
- Have no fear. In her column, Carrie divulges about her sex life — the good, the bad, and the ugly. You don’t necessarily need to spill the deets on your romantic conquests, but the idea is to connect with your audience by being as transparent and authentic as possible. Don’t be afraid to let your real stories shine through!
- If you have a computer, you can make a name for yourself. From her trusty Mac laptop, Carrie built her brand word-for-word and shared a piece of her life with the city of New York. She is proof that when you write publicly, you can create a following.
- Take advantage of two way-communication. Sex and the City aired from 1998 to 2004, when print media was still alive and well. Today, anyone and everyone is empowered with their own digital channel where you can not only write and share content, but you can engage with your audience and build relationships.
- Lean into what makes you, you. Beyond Carrie’s articles about sex and relationships, we saw other aspects of her personality, such as her love of fashion and shoes. You might even define Carrie as a fashion icon. When blogging and building your own brands, have fun and share all the dimensions of who you are.
- Write consistently. If you want to get your name out there, you have to write as much as possible and build momentum on your blog. Carrie consistently showed up for her weekly column and churned out content, even when she felt stuck with writer’s block.
- Look to your own experiences for inspiration. Carrie built her column based on her own relationships and perspectives. Although she is a fictional character, we felt like we knew her and could relate to what she was going through. Just like Carrie, you can derive insights and lessons from your own experiences and share them with your audience.
If you’ve been thinking about starting a blog, what are you waiting for? You have a channel at your fingertips! I hope you’ll take this inspiration from Carrie Bradshaw and start writing! You’ll learn so much about yourself in the process.
READ MORE: Need more help getting over your fear starting a blog? See what you can learn about personal branding from ABC’s Dancing with the Stars!